This is the place to discuss topics relevant to the Heritage neighborhood and goings on in Austin, TX. Please keep the conversations friendly and constructive. We’re all here because we want to make our neighborhood an even better place!
Check out our Community Guidelines before you get started.
📝 Below is a checklist of New Member tasks to help set you up for success here.
Click to open/close each section:
On your first visit
On Your First Visit
At first, it's a good idea to get a feel for the community and how our forums work. Take some time to click on the menus and links to make sure you can find your way around. Set up your profile and preferences, and spend some time reading what has already been shared by others.
1. Edit your member profile
- Add some information about yourself: what brought you to Austin or how long you've lived in Heritage, your hobbies, your volunteer efforts, or some info about your household.
- Add your picture
2. Edit your discussion preferences
- Review your notification preferences and decide how often you want to be emailed, if at all with updates from the forums.
- If you don't want to be emailed, be sure to check in with us to see what's been going on.
3. Spend 15 minutes simply reading discussions
- A good place to start is by selecting TOP to see the most active topics by month, week or day
- After about 15 minutes of reading, you will automatically be granted access to all community functions including uploading pictures, sharing links in posts and writing private messages to other members.
Tips: As you explore
- Get acquainted with discussion platform features
- Look for and click on people's pictures or mentions (like this: @johnb) to see the informative user card popup!
- Find people or topics that interest you using search - select in top right corner then type in your keywords
- Like some posts - select below a post you find interesting or useful. The author and other participants will appreciate it!
On your next visit
On your next visit
Now that you have a feel for the community, you can go deeper to find out what's happening here and start engaging with other members.
1. Check out activity relevant to you
- Look for your picture in the top-right corner which will indicate when you have new activity to check. Select the unread notifications every time you log in to clear them.
2. Read the community guidelines
- As soon as you read through those, you will earn the
3. Reply to one or more topics
- Contribute to the discussion by offering opinion or further reading.
- Look for below each post
On your third visit
On your third visit
By now you will be well on your way to knowing how to contribute actively.
1. Start a new topic
- Share a video or website, ask a question, or simply to introduce yourself and your connection to the neighborhood.
- Remember to follow the guidelines!
- As soon as another member your topic, you will earn the
2. Invite your friends
- Visit your invite page to send a personal link to your neighbors to join the discussions (anyone can join in!).
3. Share the topics on social media or on other forums:
- Select below a post to get the link
- Paste the link into an email or facebook update with an explanation
- Earn the
4. Get to know the ☰ menu
- Find out where you stand in the community via Badges
- Explore who's here by viewing the User list
- Check out Tags, which are another way to explore related topics
- Use keyboard shortcuts to speed up your browsing
- About displays a list of moderators available to help you navigate the platform as well as handy site statistics
Tips: As you contribute
- Let the online editor show you how to create formatted posts
- Learn how to mention someone by typing
@and first few letters of a name, and observe how it autocompletes. They will be notified as soon as you save your post!
- Link to another topic in your post and observe how it appears (and earn the